DC whistleblower lawyer Jason Zuckerman spoke at a Bloomberg BNA CLE about recent developments in whistleblower reward and whistleblower retaliation claims. Zuckerman was joined by Sean X. McKessy, Chief of the SEC’s Office of the Whistleblower, Division of Enforcement, Steve J. Pearlman , partner in the Labor & Employment Law Department and co-head of Proskauer’s Whistleblowing & Retaliation Group, and Anthony Rosa, Deputy Director for Whistleblower Protection Programs at OSHA.
The webinar covered a wide range of recent developments concerning whistleblower rewards and whistleblower retaliation, including:
- Impact of 9/22/14 $30M award;
- Circumstances under which persons with internal audit or compliance-related functions may be eligible for an award;
- Impact of awards to a corporate officer and internal auditor;
- SEC Rule 21F-17(a) and the SEC’e efforts to identify employee confidentiality, severance, and other kinds of agreements that may interfere with an employee’s ability to report potential wrongdoing to the SEC;
- Scope of coverage of Sarbanes-Oxley whistleblower provision;
- protected conduct under the Sarbanes-Oxley whistleblower law and the impact of the ARB’s decision in Sylvester v. Parexel Int’l, LLC, ARB 07-123, 2011 WL 2165854 (May 25, 2011);
- recent ARB decisions on the causation standard under DOL whistleblower laws, including Powers v. Union Pacific RR Co; and
- the Fifth Circuit’s recent decision holding that outing a whistleblower is an adverse action under the SOX whistleblower law.
Experienced Whistleblower Protection Lawyers
Before hiring a lawyer for a high-stakes whistleblower case, assess the lawyer’s reputation, prior experience representing whistleblowers, knowledge of whistleblower laws and prior results. And consider the experience of other whistleblowers working with that attorney. We have extensive experience representing whistleblower under a wide variety of corporate whistleblower protection laws. See our client testimonials by clicking here.
- U.S. News and Best Lawyers® have named Zuckerman Law a Tier 1 firm in Litigation – Labor and Employment in the Washington DC metropolitan area.
- Both Eric Bachman and Jason Zuckerman served on the Department of Labor’s Whistleblower Protection Advisory Committee, which makes recommendations to the Secretary of Labor to improve OSHA’s administration of federal whistleblower protections.
- Firm Principal Jason Zuckerman was recognized by Washingtonian magazine as a “Top Whistleblower Lawyer” in 2015, 2009, and 2007 selected by his peers to be included in The Best Lawyers in America® in the category of employment law (2011-2017), and selected by his peers to be listed in SuperLawyers (2012 and 2015-2017) in the category of labor and employment law. is rated 10 out of 10 by Avvo, based largely on client reviews, and rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell based on peer reviews.
- Eric Bachman, Chair of the Firm’s Discrimination Practice, has substantial experience litigating precedent-setting individual and class action discrimination cases. His wins include a $100 million settlement in a disparate impact Title VII class action and a $16 million class action settlement against a major grocery chain. Having served as Special Litigation Counsel in the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice and as lead or co-counsel in numerous jury trials, Bachman is trial-tested and ready to fight for you to obtain the relief that you deserve.
- The firm has published extensively on whistleblower rights and protections, and speaks nationwide at seminars and continuing legal education conferences. We blog about new developments under whistleblower retaliation and rewards laws at the Whistleblower Protection Blog.
- The firm is routinely quoted in the media about whistleblower rights and protections.
- Eric Bachman and Jason Zuckerman served in senior positions at the U.S. Office of Special Counsel, the federal agency charged with protecting whistleblowers in the federal government. At OSC, they oversaw investigations of whistleblower claims and obtained corrective action or relief for whistleblowers.
To learn more about whistleblower rewards or whistleblower protections, call the whistleblower lawyers at Zuckerman Law for a free consultation at 202-262-8959, or click here. And for information about the SEC’s Whistleblower Reward Program, download our free ebook SEC Whistleblower Program: Tips from SEC Whistleblower Attorneys to Maximize an SEC Whistleblower Award.