We Help Victims of Sexual Harassment
Recent high-profile sex harassment scandals (Roger Ailes, Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, Bill O’Reilly, etc.) highlight the unacceptable fact that sexual harassment in the workplace is prevalent. According to a recent EEOC report, approximately 40% of women have experienced one or more specific sexually-based behaviors in the workplace, such as unwanted sexual attention or sexual coercion. And in the service industry, 66 percent of women reported having been harassed by managers and 30 percent of the women said inappropriate touching was a “common occurrence.”
We are committed to aggressively representing victims of sexual harassment to get them the damages to which they are entitled and hold the perpetrators accountable. Call us today at 202-769-1681 to schedule a confidential consultation. Our team includes leading civil rights lawyer Eric Bachman, who served in senior positions at the U.S. Office of Special Counsel and the Department of Justice Civil Rights Division.
Get the Compensation You Deserve
Victims of sex harassment can recover a broad array of damages, including emotional distress damages and punitive damages.
Click here to see a list of some of the largest sexual harassment verdicts and settlements.
Know Your Rights: Download Our Free Guide for Victims of Sex Harassment
Get Top-Notch Legal Representation for Your Harassment Case
Hiring a proven and effective advocate is critical to obtaining the maximum recovery in a sexual harassment case. Eric Bachman, Chair of the Firm’s Discrimination Practice, has substantial experience litigating precedent-setting individual and class action discrimination cases. His wins include a $100 million settlement in a disparate impact Title VII class action and a $16 million class action settlement against a major grocery chain. Having served as Special Litigation Counsel in the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice and as lead or co-counsel in numerous jury trials, Bachman is trial-tested and ready to fight for you to obtain the relief that you deserve.
Bachman writes frequently on topics related to promotion discrimination, harassment, and other employment discrimination issues at the Glass Ceiling Discrimination Blog.
U.S. News and Best Lawyers® have named Zuckerman Law a Tier 1 firm in Litigation – Labor and Employment in the Washington DC metropolitan area. Contact us today to find out how we can help you. To schedule a free confidential consultation, click here or call us at 202-262-8959 or 202-769-1681.
Tips for Sexual Harassment Victims
- Can an employer be held liable for customer sexual harassment?
- What damages or remedies are available for victims of sexual harassment?
- What is a hostile work environment?
- Can a single incident of harassment suffice to establish liability?
- How do I prove my workplace is a hostile work environment?
- What is quid pro quo harassment?
- What is workplace sexual harassment?
- In a sexual harassment case, does it matter if it is a supervisor versus a co-worker who is harassing me?
- Who is a “supervisor” in sexual harassment cases?
- How can employees combat harassment at work?
- What is the deadline for filing a sex harassment or retaliation claim?
- What type of retaliation is prohibited against an employee who reports unlawful discrimination or harassment?
- Is an employer prohibited from retaliating against an employee because the employee reported harassment?
- What is an employer’s affirmative defense in a sex harassment case?
Top-Rated Washington DC Whistleblower Law Firm Representing Whistleblowers Nationwide
Leading whistleblower law firm Zuckerman Law is privileged to represent whistleblowers in whistleblower reward and whistleblower protection laws. Though our clients work in a wide variety of industries and locations, they typically have one thing in common — they choose not to look the other when they see wrongdoing and instead come forward to address their concerns, often speaking out at work or in some instances, disclosing wrongdoing directly to the government.
Whistleblower reward and protection laws are complex and while they can offer substantial rewards, there are many pitfalls that must be considered when devising ineffective strategy in a whistleblower case. We have assembled a unique team of whistleblower lawyers that enable us to achieve exceptional results for our clients. Out team includes a licensed CPA and CFE who worked at a big four audit firm and knows first-hand the difficult challenges that whistleblowers face and two former senior officials from the U.S. Office of Special Counsel who enforced the Whistleblower Protection Act and served on the Department of Labor’s Whistleblower Protection Advisory Committee.
To schedule a free preliminary consultation, click here or call us at 202-262-8959.
Leading Sarbanes-Oxley Corporate Whistleblower Protection Lawyers
The whistleblower lawyers at Zuckerman Law have substantial experience litigating Sarbanes Oxley whistleblower retaliation claims and have achieved substantial recoveries for officers, executives, accountants, auditors, and other senior professionals. To learn more about corporate whistleblower protections, see our Sarbanes-Oxley Whistleblower Protection FAQ. Click here to read client testimonials about the firm’s work in SOX whistleblower matters and other employment-related litigation.
The whistleblower protection provision of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act provides robust protection to cybersecurity whistleblowers, and indeed some SOX whistleblowers have achieved substantial recoveries. On the fifteenth anniversary of SOX, leading whistleblower law firm Zuckerman Law released a free guide to the SOX whistleblower protection law: “Sarbanes-Oxley Whistleblower Protection: Robust Protection for Corporate Whistleblowers.” The guide summarizes SOX whistleblower protections and offers concrete tips for corporate whistleblowers based on lessons learned during years of litigating SOX whistleblower cases.
The goal of the guide is to arm corporate whistleblowers with the knowledge to effectively combat whistleblower retaliation, avoid the pitfalls that can weaken a SOX whistleblower case, and formulate an effective strategy to obtain the maximum recovery.
Award-Winning Whistleblower Attorneys
U.S. News and Best Lawyers® have named Zuckerman Law a Tier 1 firm in Litigation – Labor and Employment in the Washington DC metropolitan area in the 2017 edition “Best Law Firms.” In addition, Firm Principal Jason Zuckerman has been:
- recognized by Washingtonian magazine as a “Top Whistleblower Lawyer” in 2015, 2009, and 2007;
- rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell based on peer reviews;
- selected by peers to be included in The Best Lawyers in America® in the category of employment law (2011-2017);
- rated 10 out of 10 by Avvo, based largely on client reviews; and
- selected by peers to be listed in SuperLawyers (2012 and 2015-2017) in the category of labor and employment law.
Government Contractor Whistleblower Attorneys
The False Claims Act and Sections 827 and 828 of the Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) contain strong whistleblower protection provisions for employees of government contractors and grantees, and protect a broad range of whistleblower disclosures.
The whistleblower lawyers at Zuckerman Law have substantial experience representing whistleblowers at government contractors and grantees in whistleblower retaliation claims. And two of the attorneys on our team served in senior position at the U.S. Office of Special Counsel overseeing investigations of whistleblower retaliation claims and whistleblower disclosures. To schedule a free preliminary consultation, click here or call us at 202-262-8959.
For information about the NDAA whistleblower protection law, see our post Congress Strengthens Whistleblower Protections for Federal Employees and our Practical Law Practice Note: “Whistleblower Protections Under the National Defense Authorization Act.”
Click here to learn about the qui tam or whistleblower rewards provision of the False Claims Act.
Whistleblower Protection Act Attorneys
The Whistleblower Protection Act protects federal employees, including Veterans Affairs whistleblowers, against retaliation for making any disclosure that a federal employee reasonably believes evidences:
- a violation of any law, rule, or regulation;
- gross mismanagement;
- a gross waste of funds;
- an abuse of authority;
- a substantial and specific danger to public health or safety; or
- censorship related to research, analysis, or technical information that cause, or will cause, gross government waste or mismanagement, an abuse of authority, a substantial and specific danger to public health or safety, or any violation of law.
Whistleblower attorneys Eric Bachman and Jason Zuckerman, former senior officials at the U.S. Office of Special Counsel, have released a guide for federal employee whistleblowers titled The Whistleblower Protection Act: Empowering Federal Employees to Root Out Waste, Fraud and Abuse and is available for download by clicking here.The goal of the guide is to inform federal employees about the whistleblower rights and protections available under the Whistleblower Protection Act, as amended by the Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act and the Follow the Rules Act.
Drawing on their experience enforcing the WPA at OSC and representing whistleblowers in private practice, the guide provides an overview of the WPA and offers practical tips for navigating some of the challenging issues that often arise in whistleblower cases.
SEC Whistleblower Attorneys
An experienced SEC whistleblower attorney can maximize the likelihood of recovering an SEC whistleblower award. Under the SEC Whistleblower Program, the SEC is authorized to pay awards for original information about any violation of the federal securities laws, including:
- Accounting fraud;
- Investment and securities fraud;
- Insider trading;
- Foreign bribery and other FCPA violations;
- EB-5 investment fraud;
- Manipulation of a security’s price or volume;
- Fraudulent securities offerings and Ponzi schemes;
- Hedge fund fraud;
- Unregistered securities offerings;
- Investment adviser fraud;
- Broker-dealer anti-money laundering program violations;
- False or misleading statements about a company or investment;
- Inadequate internal controls;
- Deceptive non-GAAP financial measures; and
- Violations of auditor independence rules.
See our column in Forbes: One Billion Reasons Why The SEC Whistleblower-Reward Program Is Effective.
To learn more about incentives for whistleblower to disclose fraud to the SEC, download our free guide SEC Whistleblower Program: Tips from SEC Whistleblower Attorneys to Maximize an SEC Whistleblower Award.
In the SEC Whistleblower Program: Tips from SEC Whistleblower Attorneys to Maximize an SEC Whistleblower Award, the whistleblower lawyers at Zuckerman Law share their experience gained from representing whistleblowers before the SEC.
Leading Cybersecurity Whistleblower Protection Lawyers
Whistleblower attorney Dallas Hammer is a leading cybersecurity whistleblower attorney and has written extensively about protections for cybersecurity whistleblowers, including the following publications:
- The Rise of Cybersecurity Whistleblowing, NYU Law Compliance & Enforcement Blog (December 2016)
- Cybersecurity Whistleblowing: What Employees at Public Companies Should Know Before Reporting Information Security Concerns, ISSA Journal (June 2016)
- Protections and Rewards for Cybersecurity Whistleblowers
Recently, Corporate Crime Reporter interviewed Mr. Hammer about cybersecurity whistleblowing. A summary of the interview is available online at Dallas Hammer on the Rise of Cybersecurity Whistleblowing. And CSO quoted Mr. Hammer in an article titled Cybersecurity whistleblowers: Get ready for more.
Trial-Tested and Ready to Fight to Obtain Maximum Damages
We relish the opportunity to give our clients their day in court and are ready to go the distance to obtain maximum damages. Eric Bachman, for Deputy Special Counsel, has substantial trial experience as a former public defender and senior official at the U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division. His wins include a $100 million settlement in a disparate impact Title VII class action and a $16 million class action settlement against a major grocery chain. Having served as lead or co-counsel in numerous jury trials, Bachman is trial-tested and ready to fight for you to obtain the relief that you deserve.
Feedback from Whistleblower Clients
WHEN REVIEWING INFORMATION ABOUT TESTIMONIALS OR STATEMENTS REGARDING A LAWYER’S QUALITY, CONSIDER THAT 1) THE FACTS AND CIRCUMSTANCES OF YOUR CASE MAY DIFFER FROM THE MATTERS IN WHICH RESULTS AND TESTIMONIALS HAVE BEEN PROVIDED; 2) ALL RESULTS OF CASES HANDLED BY JASON ZUCKERMAN ARE NOT PROVIDED AND NOT ALL CLIENTS HAVE GIVEN TESTIMONIALS; AND 3) THE TESTIMONIALS PROVIDED ARE NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENTATIVE OF RESULTS OBTAINED BY JASON ZUCKERMAN OR OF THE EXPERIENCE OF ALL CLIENTS OR OTHERS WITH JASON ZUCKERMAN. EVERY CASE IS DIFFERENT, AND EACH CLIENT’S CASE MUST BE EVALUATED AND HANDLED ON ITS OWN MERITS.
- Jason Zuckerman is the most focused, thoughtful and aggressive attorneys I have ever known, let alone had the pleasure to have on my side in a highly complex legal case. He brought well-honed legal insights and a rapid pace to our legal preparations. He forcefully brought those preparations to the opposing side, which gave them little choice but to engage with us until a positive settlement was reached. In addition, we found Jason to be extremely responsive at every step, even if it required working past midnight. His character is beyond reproach and his dedication through the entire process was unwavering. If I ever need someone in my legal court again, I won’t hesitate for even a second, before I seek Jason’s support.
- Jason is everything you could possibly ask for an an attorney: highly intelligent, thoughtful, and extraordinarily knowledgeable in his specialty of the law. In a very short period of time Jason was able to assimilate a laundry list of details and offer a compelling strategy on how to effectively proceed. Moreover, he is extremely responsive.
- Jason is the consummate professional when it comes to SOX retaliation claims. He is, without question, one of the most deeply knowledgeable, technical, and astute attorneys in this very specialized body of law. During one of the most difficult times in my professional career, Jason not only provided exceptional legal guidance, but equally as important, he provided emotional support that was vital to my family and me. Jason ran circles around the “major national law firm” team that was assigned to defend my employer. In fact, Jason made them look silly at times. Jason always advocated my best interests, not his own. Jason is not only an exceptional attorney who helped my family to achieve a favorable outcome, but he is a friend. I’ve worked with major law firms throughout my career and when it comes to SOX and employment law matters, there is not a finer, more talented attorney than Jason Zuckerman.
- Jason did an exceptional job in quickly understanding the intricacies of my case, grasping not only his field of expertise of employment law, but also the violations of law and SEC Regulations that were central to my dispute. The overall strategy he utilized insured that opposing counsel was challenged and made clear that this case would simply not proceed based on a timetable convenient to them. Jason is thorough, accurate and seemingly working at all hours based on phone calls and correspondence. Fortunately Jason has a very down to earth personality, understands issues readily and can convey in understandable language current “legal” circumstances and probable outcomes. I would easily and thoroughly recommend Jason for issues related to a Sarbanes-Oxley or employment related dispute.
- I selected Jason to handle my case after consulting with three other lawyers because of his extensive SOX experience and negotiation skills. My decision paid off as he easily surpassed all of my expectations. He quickly analyzed the merits of my case and aggressively engaged my former employer to reach a favorable settlement, avoiding years of potential litigation. He was responsive, professional, ethical and a great advocate on my behalf. I truly believe that I could not have found a better lawyer to represent my interests. He would be the first person I would recommend if a colleague or friend were to ever need similar services. Put simply, Jason is a top notch lawyer who works tirelessly to achieve a positive outcome for his clients. It’s easy to see why he is regarded as an expert in the field.
Tips for Whistleblowers to Qualify for a SEC Whistleblower Award
SEC Whistleblower Awards/Bounties
SOX Whistleblower Protection Law
When our clients face discrimination or retaliation in the workplace, a lot is on the line – their career, reputation, and financial security. We fight hard to try to get our clients the compensation they deserve and enable them to move forward with a successful career. To schedule a confidential consultation with leading Bethesda-Chevy Chase civil rights lawyer Eric Bachman, call us today at 202-769-1681, or click here.
Bethesda-Chevy Chase Discrimination Lawyers
We handle a wide range of employment matters, including:
- Glass ceiling discrimination;
- Sexual harassment;
- Race discrimination;
- Gender discrimination, including Equal Pay Act claims;
- LGBT discrimination;
- Religious discrimination;
- Disability discrimination;
- Pregnancy discrimination; and
- Age discrimination
Click here to see our videos answering frequently asked questions about discrimination and retaliation.
Bethesda-Chevy Chase Civil Rights Lawyer Eric Bachman
Hiring a proven and effective advocate is critical to obtaining the maximum recovery in a Maryland discrimination case. Eric Bachman, Chair of the Firm’s Discrimination Practice, has substantial experience litigating precedent-setting individual and class action discrimination cases. His wins include a $100 million settlement in a disparate impact Title VII class action and a $16 million class action settlement against a major grocery chain. And his experience as a public defender enables him to feel at home in any courtroom and communicate effectively with the jury.
Having served as Special Litigation Counsel in the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice and as lead or co-counsel in numerous jury trials, Bachman is trial-tested and ready to fight for you to obtain the relief that you deserve. As editor of the Glass Ceiling Discrimination blog, Bachman writes frequently on topics related to promotion discrimination, harassment, and other employment discrimination issues.
U.S. News and Best Lawyers® have named Zuckerman Law a Tier 1 firm in Litigation – Labor and Employment in the Washington DC metropolitan area. Contact us today to find out how we can help you.
Bethesda-Chevy Chase Sexual Harassment Attorneys
According to a recent EEOC report, approximately 40% of women have experienced one or more specific sexually-based behaviors in the workplace, such as unwanted sexual attention or sexual coercion. Sexual harassment remains far too prevalent.
Zuckerman Law is committed to recovering the maximum damages available for victims of harassment in Maryland.