1934 Old Gallows Rd #350
Experienced Whistleblower Lawyer
Dallas Hammer is Of Counsel at Zuckerman Law and chairs the firm’s Whistleblower Rewards Practice Group. Mr. Hammer has represented whistleblowers before the SEC, CFTC, IRS and DOJ. He also has extensive experience representing employees in whistleblower, discrimination, and other employment-related litigation, including representing corporate whistleblowers in claims under the whistleblower protection provisions of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and Dodd-Frank Act; representing federal employees at the Office of Special Counsel and Merit Systems Protection Board; and negotiating severance, separation, and employment agreements.
Quoted by National Media About Whistleblower Rewards and Protections
Recently Mr. Hammer was quoted in articles titled Whistleblowers cash-in on Feds corruption campaign and SEC Whistle-Blower Awards: No Guarantees. In the former article, Mr. Hammer notes that “The time to be a whistleblower has never been better.” And Mr. Hammer has been quoted for his insights about whistleblower protections for disclosures about cybsecurity, including in an article titled Cybersecurity whistleblowers: Get ready for more.
Thought Leader About Cybersecurity Whistleblowing
Mr. Hammer has written extensively about protections for cybersecurity whistleblowers, including the following publications:
- The Rise of Cybersecurity Whistleblowing, NYU Law Compliance & Enforcement Blog (December 2016)
- Cybersecurity Whistleblowing: What Employees at Public Companies Should Know Before Reporting Information Security Concerns, ISSA Journal (June 2016)
Recently, Corporate Crime Reporter interviewed Mr. Hammer about cybersecurity whistleblowing. A summary of the interview is available online at Dallas Hammer on the Rise of Cybersecurity Whistleblowing.
Shaping the Law to Strengthen Worker Protections
Before joining Zuckerman Law, Mr. Hammer litigated discrimination and whistleblower retaliation claims on behalf of private and public employees at two boutique employment-law firms with national practices. Several cases that Mr. Hammer worked on have set important precedent for workers, including a decision enjoining a federal agency from terminating a physician while her discrimination claim was pending, and a decision from the Department of Labor’s Administrative Review Board clarifying the burden of proof in nuclear whistleblower retaliation actions. Mr. Hammer has also drafted amicus curiae briefs, including a brief filed on behalf of the National Employment Lawyers Association that is cited in a pivotal ARB decision about the burden-shifting framework under whistleblower protection laws.
Mr. Hammer’s recent representations include:
- Obtaining a seven-figure settlement for a Sarbanes-Oxley whistleblower;
- Securing full corrective action for a whistleblower at the Department of Veterans Affairs, including favorable reassignment, rescission of disciplinary action, and attorneys’ fees and costs;
- Obtaining a new position and financial compensation for the target of a gender-biased investigation, as well as obtaining full relief for a whistleblower who reported misappropriation of funds and violations of federal contracting regulations;
- Representing whistleblowers in NDAA retaliation actions before Offices of Inspectors General;
- Counseling employees of a DOD contractor to report an unsafe environment created by coworkers’ reckless use of drugs, alcohol, and firearms;
- Obtaining satisfactory resolution on behalf of an HIV positive worker who was fired for requesting time to get treatment;
- Conducting an internal investigation into allegations of disability discrimination for an international foreign-government organization.
- Performing investigations for the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts.
Mr. Hammer received his law degree from Georgetown University Law Center, after earning a bachelor’s in journalism from Oklahoma State University. He is licensed in Virginia.
Mr. Hammer is an active member of the National Employment Lawyers Association, the Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association, and the American Bar Association.
He has written dozens of articles on whistleblower protections appearing in numerous publications, including the following articles:
SOX Whistleblower Protections Are Not Obsolete Law 360 (September 2015)
5 Years Of Dodd-Frank Taking Stock Law 360 (July 2015)
Sixth Circuit Hands A Landmark Victory To SOX Whistleblowers Law 360 (June 2015)
A Year For Whistleblower Rewards And Protections Law 360 (December 2014)
His scholarly interests include workplace protections for undocumented workers, the effect of employment agreements (e.g., non-compete agreements) on the skilled labor force, and the culture and ethics of corporate whistleblowing.
Mr. Hammer takes pride in providing the highest level of customer service as he works diligently to achieve client’s objectives. These are some recent client reviews posted on Avvo:
- I found the Zuckerman/Hammer team through an online search and worked with Dallas for the most part. Dallas is a caring professional who is an excellent listener and writer, down to earth, knowledgeable, ethical, very responsive and was a great advocate on my behalf. Besides his legal expertise, he provided reassurance and emotional support in a very stressful period of time. Together with Jason, he negotiated a better severance agreement for me. I truly believe I could not have found a better team to represent my interests.
- After facing a very difficult work environment in my federal position, without support from my supervisor, and with indications that I needed to move on, I found the Zuckerman Law team of Jason Zuckerman and Dallas Hammer to be top notch in providing me the immediate counsel I needed. Dallas Hammer, in particular, successfully negotiated a severance agreement that was far better than I could have dreamed, and insured that the specific wording as well as the provisions in the final agreement were in my long-term best interest. I can move forward to a new position with greater confidence after the exceptional results I experienced. I highly recommend the attorneys in this practice.
- I was very fortunate to obtain the services of Mr. Hammer & Mr. Zuckerman. They are knowledgeable, responsive and trustworthy which made the process comfortable. If you are seeking a Whistle Blower expert that will represent your interests with high integrity, you will be hard pressed to find a better group of guys. I am 100% satisfied with their service.
- Where other attorneys declined to take my case Mr Hammer listened to the details of facts supporting my request for additional severance. He researched “SOX” and other related laws, rules and regulations. A well rounded and detailed fact pattern was established. I was kept updated as to the status of my case frequently. It was a collaborative effort where my thoughts, comments and observations were welcomed and incorporated into the demand presented to my former employer. Through persistent negotiation I received a just and amicable settlement.
- Attorney Dallas Hammer provided excellent legal services in negotiating and achieving a settlement agreement with cost-effective mediation of my employment concerns. He skillfully assessed complicated law and procedural issues.
WHEN REVIEWING INFORMATION ABOUT TESTIMONIALS OR STATEMENTS REGARDING A LAWYER’S QUALITY, CONSIDER THAT 1) THE FACTS AND CIRCUMSTANCES OF YOUR CASE MAY DIFFER FROM THE MATTERS IN WHICH RESULTS AND TESTIMONIALS HAVE BEEN PROVIDED; 2) ALL RESULTS OF CASES HANDLED BY DALLAS HAMMER ARE NOT PROVIDED AND NOT ALL CLIENTS HAVE GIVEN TESTIMONIALS; AND 3) THE TESTIMONIALS PROVIDED ARE NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENTATIVE OF RESULTS OBTAINED BY DALLAS HAMMER OR OF THE EXPERIENCE OF ALL CLIENTS OR OTHERS WITH DALLAS HAMMER. EVERY CASE IS DIFFERENT, AND EACH CLIENT’S CASE MUST BE EVALUATED AND HANDLED ON ITS OWN MERITS.