There are many whistleblower rewards programs that provide awards to corporate whistleblowers, including whistleblower reward programs at the SEC, the IRS, and the CFTC. In addition, the qui tam provisions of the False Claims Act authorize awards to corporate whistleblowers who report fraud on the government.
SEC Whistleblower Rewards
Whistleblowers have enabled the SEC to recover more than $2 billion in penalties and disgorgement. A whistleblower can be eligible for an award for reporting a violation of federal securities laws, including:
- Accounting fraud;
- Investment and securities fraud;
- Insider trading;
- Foreign bribery and other FCPA violations;
- EB-5 investment fraud;
- Manipulation of a security’s price or volume;
- Fraudulent securities offerings and Ponzi schemes;
- Hedge fund fraud;
- Unregistered securities offerings;
- Investment adviser fraud;
- Broker-dealer anti-money laundering program violations;
- False or misleading statements about a company or investment;
- Inadequate internal controls;
- Deceptive non-GAAP financial measures;
- Improper revenue recognition;
- Violations of auditor independence rules;
- Misleading or incomplete cybersecurity disclosures; and
- Blockchain fraud.
Under SEC’s Dodd-Frank Act whistleblower reward program, whistleblowers who voluntarily provide original information to the SEC can receive between 10 percent and 30 percent of the sanctions recovered by the SEC. The largest SEC whistleblower awards to date are:
- $50 million,
- $39 million, and
- $37 million.
See our column in Forbes: One Billion Reasons Why The SEC Whistleblower-Reward Program Is Effective.
Download our free guide to the SEC whistleblower program:
If you have information that you would like to report to the SEC Whistleblower Office, contact the experienced SEC whistleblower lawyers at Zuckerman Law for a free, confidential consultation.
False Claims Act Qui Tam Whistleblower Rewards
Whistleblowers have enabled the federal government to recover nearly $30 billion. Call us to find out if you may have a qui tam case.
- What types of false claims are prohibited by the False Claims Act?
- What is the first-to-file bar in False Claims Act qui tam cases?
- What is the requirement to file a False Claims Act qui tam action under seal?
- What is the statute of limitations for a False Claims Act qui tam action?
- What is the public disclosure bar in the False Claims Act?
- What is materiality under the False Claims Act?
- What is “Scienter” Under the False Claims Act?
- Is a Violation of the Anti-Kickback Law Also a Violation of the False Claims Act?
- Does the False Claims Act Prohibit Bid-Rigging?
- Does the False Claims Act Prohibit Fraudulent Inducement of a Contract?
- Can a violation of Good Manufacturing Practices give rise to False Claims Act Liability?
- Is there a heightened pleading requirement for False Claims Act qui tam cases?
SEC Whistleblower Process