DISCLAIMER: Case results depend upon a variety of factors unique to each case and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any future case undertaken by Zuckerman Law.
Leading whistleblower firm Zuckerman Law has successfully represented whistleblowers under the False Claims Act and the Dodd-Frank SEC whistleblower program. The firm has a licensed Certified Public Accountant and Certified Fraud Examiner on staff to enhance its ability to investigate complex financial fraud and report it to the SEC. As the SEC has limited resources, it is important to prepare a submission that identifies the core violations and persuades the SEC that the matter will likely lead to a successful enforcement action. The whistleblower lawyers at Zuckerman Law work to frame and draft whistleblower disclosures in a manner that grabs the SEC’s attention, and we have substantial experience assisting the SEC in investigations.
The whistleblower lawyers at Zuckerman Law aim to quickly provide the highest-quality representation. Timely reporting is critical to maximizing the potential of an SEC award. The attorneys will also use lessons drawn from our previous experience representing SEC whistleblowers to offer critical guidance on how to:
- maximize the probability of recovering an award; and
- maximize the award percentage.
In conjunction with our courageous clients, our SEC whistleblower lawyers have helped the SEC halt multi-million dollar investment schemes, expose violations at large publicly traded companies, and return funds to defrauded investors.
Navigating Whistleblower Reward and Retaliation Laws
There are many types of whistleblower retaliation laws – from nuclear safety to corporate fraud – that provide whistleblowers with varying protections and remedies. These laws often have complicated procedural requirements that require an experienced attorney to navigate through the legal process. Moreover, each whistleblower award program has different rules and procedures that dictate:
- how to submit a tip;
- how to maximize the percentage of the award;
- how the agency will communicate with whistleblowers and their attorneys after submitting the tip; and
- how to appeal an award determination.
For example, the SEC Whistleblower Program allows whistleblowers to report anonymously if represented by an attorney and offers whistleblowers an award of 10-30% of the total sanctions imposed as a result of their tip. The SEC Whistleblower Office often works directly with whistleblowers (unless they reported anonymously) and their attorneys to understand and investigate the fraud. If the SEC denies an award, whistleblowers may file an appeal in an appropriate United States Court of Appeals within 30 days of the determination.
Alternatively, the IRS Whistleblower Program does not allow whistleblowers to report anonymously and offers whistleblower awards of 15-30% of tax proceeds collected as a result of their tip. The IRS Whistleblower Office almost always limit its communication with whistleblowers and their attorneys (section 6103 of the IRC prohibits the unauthorized disclosure of tax information, which limits what the IRS can share with whistleblowers), which has been a recent criticism of the program. If the IRS denies an award, whistleblowers may file an appeal in the United States Tax Court within 30 days of the determination.
In sum, whistleblowers should make sure that they are hiring an attorney that specializes in the specific area of whistleblower law that applies to their claim. Whistleblowers should look at the practice areas of the law firm and the biographies of its attorneys to determine if there is a good match.
How to Qualify for an SEC Whistleblower Award
Experienced Whistleblower Law Firm
For more information about whistleblower rewards and bounties, contact the SEC whistleblower lawyers at Zuckerman Law at 202-930-5901. Click below to hear SEC whistleblower lawyer Matt Stock’s tips for SEC whistleblowers:
To learn more about the SEC Whistleblower Program, download Zuckerman Law’s eBook: SEC Whistleblower Program: Tips from SEC Whistleblower Attorneys to Maximize an SEC Whistleblower Award:
Some aspects of our experience that set us apart include:
- Matt Stock is a Certified Public Accountant, Certified Fraud Examiner and former KPMG external auditor. As an auditor, Stock developed expertise in financial statement analysis and internal controls testing and fraud recognition. He uses his auditing experience to help IRS, CFTC and SEC whistleblowers investigate and disclose complex financial frauds to the government and develop a roadmap for the SEC to take an enforcement action. Matt has been interviewed on CNBC, quoted extensively about whistleblower rewards in the media, and is the lead author of SEC Whistleblower Program: Tips from SEC Whistleblower Attorneys to Maximize an SEC Whistleblower Award.
- Dallas Hammer has extensive experience representing whistleblowers in retaliation and rewards claims and has written extensively about cybersecurity whistleblowing. He was selected by his peers to be included in The Best Lawyers in America® in the category of employment law in 2021 and 2022.
- Described by the National Law Journal as a “leading whistleblower attorney,” founding Principal Jason Zuckerman has established precedent under a wide range of whistleblower protection laws and obtained substantial compensation for his clients and recoveries for the government in whistleblower rewards and whistleblower retaliation cases. He served on the Department of Labor’s Whistleblower Protection Advisory Committee, which makes recommendations to the Secretary of Labor to improve OSHA’s administration of federal whistleblower protection laws. Zuckerman also served as Senior Legal Advisor to the Special Counsel at the U.S. Office of Special Counsel, the federal agency charged with protecting whistleblowers in the federal government. At OSC, he oversaw investigations of whistleblower claims and obtained corrective action or relief for whistleblowers.
- Zuckerman was recognized by Washingtonian magazine as a “Top Whistleblower Lawyer” (2020, 2018, 2017, 2015, 2009, and 2007), selected by his peers to be included in The Best Lawyers in America® in the category of employment law (2011-2021) and in SuperLawyers in the category of labor and employment law (2012 and 2015-2021), is rated 10 out of 10 by Avvo, based largely on client reviews, and is rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell based on peer reviews
- We have published extensively on whistleblower rights and protections, and speak nationwide at seminars and continuing legal education conferences. We blog about new developments under whistleblower retaliation and rewards laws at the Whistleblower Protection Law and SEC Awards Blog, and in 2019, the National Law Review awarded Zuckerman its “Go-To Thought Leadership Award” for his analysis of developments in whistleblower law.
- Our attorneys have been quoted by and published articles in leading business, accounting, and legal periodicals, including The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, CNBC, MarketWatch, Vox, Accounting Today, Going Concern, Law360 – Expert Analysis, Investopedia, The National Law Review, inSecurities, Government Accountability Project, S&P Global Market Intelligence, Risk & Compliance Magazine, The D&O Diary, The Compliance and Ethics Blog, Compliance Week and other printed and electronic media.
Zuckerman Law has successfully represented whistleblowers both under Dodd-Frank Act’s SEC Whistleblower Program and under the False Claims Act. The firm employs a certified public accountant and certified fraud examiner to help whistleblowers disclose complex financial frauds to the government. Finally and perhaps most importantly is that Zuckerman Law quickly provides clients with the highest quality service. Timing is imperative for any whistleblower who wants to obtain an SEC whistleblower award. If you’re aware of a violation of federal securities law, call the lawyers at Zuckerman Law today for a free confidential consultation.