LGBTQ Workplace Rights in Virginia
Can I be fired for being LGBTQ in Virginia?
No. On April 11, 2020, Governor Northam signed the Virginia Values Act (SB 868), monumental anti-discrimination legislation that makes Virginia the first state in the South to enact comprehensive protections for the LGBTQ community. In particular, Senate Bill 868 1) prohibits discrimination in public accommodations on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or status as a veteran; 2) prohibits discrimination in credit on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, disability, and veteran status; and 3) prohibits discrimination in housing based on sexual orientation, gender identity, and status as a veteran. The Virginia Values Act became effective on July 1, 2020.
Virginia Values Act
The Virginia Values Act amends the Virginia Human Rights Act (VA HRA), Va. Code §§ 2.2-3900 et seq., by barring discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity and creating a private cause of action for employment discrimination. The amended VA HRA authorizes a victim of discrimination to bring a civil action in district or circuit court after receiving a notice of right to file a civil action from the Division of Human Rights of the Department of Law. Remedies include uncapped compensatory and punitive damages.
Under the Virginia Values Act, “gender identity” means the gender-related identity, appearance, or other gender-related characteristics of an individual, with or without regard to the individual’s designated sex at birth. “Sexual orientation” means a person’s actual or perceived heterosexuality, bisexuality, or homosexuality.
Top-Rated Virginia LGBTQ Discrimination Lawyers
Hiring a proven and effective advocate is critical to obtaining the maximum recovery in a Virginia LGBTQ discrimination case. U.S. News and Best Lawyers® have named Zuckerman Law a Tier 1 firm in Litigation – Labor and Employment in the Washington DC metropolitan area. Contact us today to find out how our LGBTQ discrimination lawyers can help you. To schedule a preliminary consultation, click here or call us at 571-288-1309.
Click here to see our videos answering frequently asked questions about discrimination and retaliation.
How Does the 2020 Virginia Values Act Protect LGBTQ Employees Against Discrimination?What-New-Virginia-Anti-Bias-Law-Means-For-LGBTQ-Workers.pdf
Virginia Anti-Discrimination Laws2020 Legislative Session Heralds a Sea Change in Virginia Employment Law
Virginia Anti-Discrimination and Whistleblower Protection Laws
- What Damages or Remedies Can a Virginia Employee Recover in a Discrimination Lawsuit?
- Does Virginia law bar discrimination in the workplace?
- What law prohibits retaliation against an employee for reporting discrimination?
- Are employers in Virginia prohibited from discriminating based on pregnancy?
- Can I be fired for being LGBTQ in Virginia?
- How to file a discrimination complaint in Virginia
- What laws protect whistleblowers in Virginia?
- Virginia Lawyers Representing Whistleblowers in Whistleblower Rewards and Whistleblower Retaliation Claims
- Are Whistleblowers in Virginia Eligible for Whistleblower Rewards or Bounties?
- Virginia Wage Payment Act Now Provides Meaningful Remedies to Wage Theft Victims